[GNC] OFX import date questions

Simon Roberts simon at dancingcloudservices.com
Fri Dec 30 16:35:32 EST 2022

Beginner/refugee from QuickBooks here (more context below if you
care).  I'm working in a scratch file, so I can do stupid things while
learning without damaging anything "important".

I'm working with importing my bank transactions using OFX format (though
I've also tinkered with CSV, and am willing to use that if it
solves my problem).

I imported some transactions using OFX. Several things surprised me, but
the one that I think needs resolving first is that the transaction dates do
not match the bank statement.

Earlier I tried the CSV import and saw there were *two* date fields
(presumably difference between being received and being acted on?

Can someone tell me what I should do to fix this? Is there a way to "tweek"
the OFX import, or do I need to use CSV? Or is this something else entirely
that's gone amiss?

Thanks for any hints,
Cheers,
Simon

Background in case it's relevant:

I'm a refugee from Intuit, and very early in my learning process.

I"m not a bookkeeper, I'm a programmer. Conversely, my bookkeeper isn't a
software person--she would have continued paying the annual ransom to
Intuit but I'm sick of their hostage taking. Of course this means I need to
do a decent part of the legwork for this transition.

Of course because I'm not a bookkeeper, I don't understand the accounting
side of this stuff, and likely won't know how to ask/phrase the questions.

Neither of us are going to be great at searching the documentation since it
seems like the terminology is different between GC and QB (and I don't
really know the terminology anyway)

So, please forgive the idiot question, and if the simple answer to a
question is RTFM, we're very happy to do so, but likely are asking as we've
failed to find the relevant part of said references.

Anyway, thanks for your indulgence :)