[GNC] Possible to display two account registers on screen?

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Thu Feb 3 17:21:32 EST 2022

On 2022-02-03 14:02, Art Chimes wrote:
> I'm trying to clean up some issues with an import-gone-bad which left
> me with two accounts for the same mutual fund. There are, I think,
> some duplicate transactions and others that appear in only one of the
> two accounts, and I want to consolidate this. It will simplify matters
> and speed up the process if I can see both accounts side by side. I
> know I can print up a transaction report, and use that as a reference,
> but is it possible to display the two accounts — GnuFund GNUFX and
> GnuFund GNUCX — on screen?
>
> If not, is it a feature GnuCash should have or is it just me?

Hi, Art!

One of GnuCash's lesser-known features makes it easy to do what you
want. And you don't have to open the data file twice.

Bring up one of the two registers, then click Window » New Window with
Page. That register will be moved to a "floating" window separate from
the main GC window. Then you can bring up the other register in the main
GC window.

You can edit either register, but don't try to edit one register while
there's an incomplete transaction in the other register.

--
Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA