[GNC] Managing multiple vehicles

flywire flywire0 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 00:36:32 EST 2022

> I've read that using other softwares one can benefit from "category" to
better filter the information you want and create reports

One of the workarounds previously discussed is to add a tag [ie category]
to the split notes, it's just under the description in the account
register. A transaction report can be run using a filter to show or exclude
transactions with these tags, even if other notes are added with the tag. I
don't think the other reports support filtering, presumably because they
don't allow transactions to be displayed.

There is no support for grouping (ie display all transactions in tag
groups).

There is a demo.csv based on the GnuCash Guide tutorial at
http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/attachments/20210718/2f60caee/attachment.obj
which can be imported and used for testing. Prefix the split note with
#share for rent and electricity and #work for internet and phone to test.

Re David Cousens
https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2022-February/099809.html

I disagree to some extent. Tag is about the least descriptive term for
tag/class/category/dimension. Tags could be supported now by adding the
ability to filter to all reports, especially since most reports are based
on the same (income statement??) report. Adding tag grouping would really
enhance report functionality. When tags are added to another field I
suppose they adopt the meaning "to deface with graffiti". It would be handy
to optionally filter them out of the notes field in reports.

I agree GnuCash contains a relational database and it should be easy enough
to add a field to the splits table or link a dimensions table. A
separate field would require adjusting the user interface but using a field
instead of a non-indexed filter would have almost no impact on the
efficiency of existing GnuCash functionality.

Bayesian matching is the wrong approach. LibreOffice calc does a good job
of predicting cell contents on-the-fly based on field use in other records.