[GNC] Managing multiple vehicles

Fernando Castro fernandomedcastro at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 10:55:07 EST 2022

Thanks for the answer Michael.

Yes I have been reading about accounting and farm specifics and will
continue to do so as I know I need a better understanding of both.

I'll definitely look into creating fixed assets accounts for the vehicles.
Actually I just stumbled on another problem, maybe you could clear
something for me?
>From what I can tell,  I'll place COGS of a certain fixed asset that were
payed in cash under expenses on GnuCash, like "expenses:cow feed" for
example. And these expenses would constitute a transaction listed on that
specific asset account, say Cows. Am I right?
If so, how would that relate to my "cash" account? I mean, the money did
come out of there. And more important, what if these expenses were payed
from 2 different accounts?

As for the other part of your answer, about CoA hierarchy, I might be
fundamentally wrong, but from my point of view having an expenses account
for "gas" or "auto:gas" makes a lot more sense than making one for each of
the 10 vehicles, as I would have 30 different gas accounts when they are
the same thing, and isn't that what I need from an accounting point of
view, gas expenses? Now from a managerial point of view, I'd be interested
in knowing each car expenses on gas. That's why I mentioned categories (or
tags, etc...), In a sense that I would have a much cleaner CoA and still be
able to get the information I need for managerial purposes.

Regards,

Fernando Castro