[GNC] Starting a new file

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 12:36:09 EST 2022

Another option is to let the start of each account correspond to the
NEAREST statement BEFORE the beginning of the year. For example, you might
have one statement that ends December 31st, but another that ends December
15th and yet another that ends December 12th.

Start each account at the beginning of the next relevant statement. The
first account is easy because you'll start January first, the next has all
transactions starting December 16th, and the final example has all
transactions starting on December 13th.  The latter two accounts will have
transactions duplicated in the old and the new data files.

You're the only one who will be seeing any of these so save yourself some
mental energy! As long as you have the opening balances correct, GnuCash
will do the right things regarding reports.

(The same is true for your old data file, which you are presumably
archiving; to enable you to validate all the final statements and run
reports you can put a few transactions into the next year and be certain
the statements reconcile. It's a small amount of double work, but depending
on your circumstances might avoid potential errors.)

Just be sure you name your files clearly so you don't accidentally keep
entering data into your archived file. You might also consider changing
permissions on the old data file or moving it to a read-only medium so you
won't accidentally change old transactions.