[GNC] cannot open data file

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sun Feb 13 12:00:53 EST 2022

On 2/13/2022 10:12 AM, suk wah Bernstein wrote:
> thanks for help.

You didn't bother to tell us your OS (makes a difference on how you find
lost files)

This isn't really a gnucash question but more of a "I think I know the
name and/or extension of a file but can't find it" (don't know the full
name aka "file path")

Other information might be useful (for example, if you know roughly when
you last changed that file (show me all files last changed on ....)  The
point I am making is that if you don't know how to do things like "show
me all files with extension .gnucash" your problem isn't with gnucash
but whether you have learned how to use the file search tool of your
operating system (for example, if you are using Windows, that would be
"file explorer"). Even in that latter case you would have had to learn
to do things like change your explorer options to "show me hidden file"
"show me file extensions" "show me full path" etc.

The question about backups was again not really about gnucash. It's
about ALL of the user data on your computer. If you don't have a data
backup process in place, it isn't a matter of if some of your data will
get lost but when.

Michael D Novack