[GNC] Automatic sales tax

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sun Feb 20 19:32:50 EST 2022

On 2/20/2022 4:33 PM, Don Robertson wrote:
> Seems most other software will do this - Xero, MYOB etc. For open
> source fans, Kmymoney seems pretty good.
>
> And before you start mailing me personally, if you don't want to hear
> what people think of your software, perhaps you should consider
> removing this from all your posts:

Correctly? I doubt that ANY software does sales tax absolutely correctly.

Here in the US the issue is sales tax which varies by state (both rate
and what tax is or is not applied to).  For internet sales, that would
be the state of the location where delivery is to be made.

Well ......has any vendor with whom you have done business ever
collected that information? Yes of course, asked for you address, but
did the vendor ALSO ask you "what state is that address in?". I rather
suspect most vendors as well as most writers of the relevant software
are aware of the fact that postal address (mail delivery) does NOT
respect state boundaries and so the "tax state" of all addresses located
close to a state boundary are suspect (might be different than the PO
state).

To be absolutely correct, would need to collect that information from
the customer OR use mapping databases to locate the (physical) address
and see what state that was in.

Michael D Novack

PS -- My working days was doing software for a life insurance company.
We DID collect "contract state" for the policy record because could make
a very big difference which state's laws would apply.