[GNC] Accounting Working with multiple currencies

davidcousens49 at gmail.com davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 01:07:45 EST 2022

There are a number of issues with your bookkeeping.

The first major one is that when a book is sold you are debiting a Revenue
account and crediting an A/R (accounts receivable) account. This is incorrect
When you sell a book you are increasing the balance of the revenue/income
account and simulataneously increasing the balance of the A?R account.  An
income/revenue account requires a credit entry to increase its balance and an
asset account like A/R will require a debit entry to increase its balance. If
this is unclear read the chapter on the basics in the Tutorial and Concepts and
Guide(https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v4/C/gnucash-guide/part.getting_started.html)
.  Both of these accounts would appear to be in CAD yet you have entries in USD
to both of the CAD accounts.  That won't work. The currency conversion works
when one entry in a transaction is to an account which has a base currency in
USD and the other entry/entries of the transaction is to an account in CAD

Similarly when the money is paid into your paypal account which you are treating
as an asset, then it is a debit entry in USD to the Paypal (USD) account not a
credit entry. This is again a reversal of normal accounting practice.

Does Paypal operate the account as a CAD account and convert the transactions
from USD to CAD for you or is the base currency of the PayPal account as
operated by Paypal in USD? Does Paypal report to you in CAD or USD?. Is the
payment into the Paypal account from IS/IL itemized by each sale or simply a
total USD amount.

Is your Sales report from IS in USD? The timing of the currency conversion is
going to be important and which accounts it takes place in. That detremines the
currency conversion rate which applies and the date at which it applies.

You really need to get professional advice on how best to handle the currency
conversions and accounting for them from a local accountant in Canada and
particularly with how to deal with the relationship between publisher and
retailer in the US. The details of how you handle this will also depend on the
contractual arrangements you have  with IS and IL ( and Paypal) and the authors.

It will also depend on when under Canadian law, your revenue is considered to be
earned (at the time of the sale, when IS/IL reports the sale to you, or when you
get paid?) which may also depend whether your business operates under Canadian
tax law as an accrual or cash accounting business. Similar considerations will
likely arise as to when your liability to the author is incurred and when it
should be recorded.

David Cousens