[GNC] Automatic sales tax

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Mon Feb 21 10:00:04 EST 2022

On 2/20/2022 7:58 PM, David Carlson wrote:
> Here in Illinois it varies by county, city, merchandise category,
> service category, seller category and sometimes by such arcane
> variables as library district (well, that last one may be a slight
> exaggeration).

And not only is it that complex, but the DATA (what IS the jurisdiction
that applies) is typically not available. Almost always  the information
by the vendor, just the postal address.

For example, while my town (township) does indeed have a PO with zip
code 01338 that post office delivers no mail (just for PO boxes inside
that post office). On the other hand, four different post office with
zip codes 01330, 01339, 01340, and 01370 do deliver mail to addresses
located in my town. So EVERY street address in my town has some other
town in the address << well one of those isn't a "town" but a village on
the boundary of two towns (townships) >>

There was a period during which when writing a letter to my Congressman
I had to make it very clear, "Yes, I AM a constituent living in your
district in spite of appearances" (the "town" on my address was outside
his district)

And I can think of a merchandise category/seller category tax difference
in my state. Buy a pair of gloves (clothing, not taxed) in a clothing
store/department store vs buy the SAME pair of gloves (protective gear,
taxed) in a hardware store.

BTW --- usually responsibility for figuring sales tax is in the POS
system, not the accounting package being fed by POS (POS would also
interact with the Inventory system). The accounting package is just one
part of an "integrated business system".

Michael D Novack