[GNC] Automatic sales tax

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Feb 21 12:45:07 EST 2022

Yeah, without a receipt in hand (or electronic) showing the breakout, no
software can assume or guess reliably. That is just insane.

In my state, you can have one location in one jurisdiction depending on
what side of the street it is on, and the two properties to the left and
right can each be in other separate districts. And then, you have to
take into account purchasing location vs. delivery, and then the type of
item or service.

That is impossible for any software, paid for or not, to 'guess' based
merely on a description containing a business name.

Even if you pre-specified what each business you buy from charges, you
might end up getting it wrong. (my grocery receipt for example charges
one rate for food 'for home consumption' and another for everything
else, and those subtotals of course vary from purchase to purchase)

And that doesn't even scratch 'tax holidays'! (or that local rates can
change 4 times a year!)

Regards,
Adrien