[GNC] Automatic sales tax << slightly off topic (but mail related) >>

Stephen M. Butler Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 21:08:16 EST 2022

On 2/21/22 10:52, Michael or Penny Novack wrote:
> On 2/21/2022 1:09 PM, Stephen M. Butler wrote:
>
>> Here in Washington state the state does post an address file to
>> assigns rate codes by address.  In at least one case two houses with
>> the same zip+4 are in different location codes.  Most web hosts POS
>> systems can only go down to the zip code level.  Thankfully I don't
>> have enough sales outside the state to worry about taxes in the other
>> states!
>>
>> --Steve  (www.hamflags.com)
>>
> Do you know how they get the mail to the folks who live on Pt Roberts?
>
> For those who don't know this, there are two little bits of the US
> (lower 48) that though not islands have no land connection to the US
> and this is one of them. Have to go through Canada. I guess since
> Puget Sound doesn't freeze they could use boats. Northwest Angle (MN)
> is the other and during the time Lake of the Woods is neither open nor
> frozen solid, boats would be out.
>
> The only time I ever discussed this with PO "experts" they said they
> couldn't imagine sent in sealed bags through Canada << I didn't tell
> then that once upon a time Canada  had that sort of arrangement with
> us for mail to the Yukon -- Before the highway, the only way in was
> the railroad from Skagway Alaska to Whitehorse and mail came up from
> Vancouver by ship and then the railroad over the pass back into
> Canada. So why not reciprocal arrangements >>
>
> Michael D Novack

According to an Internet search it appears they send mail via boat
to/from Seattle.  Mail sent from Pt Roberts is post-marked Seattle. I
presume incoming mail is sent out from Seattle by boat.

You're right, Puget Sound does not freeze -- but there are days that it
feels that way!

--Steve

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM