[GNC] reconcile problem?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Wed Feb 23 09:51:57 EST 2022

HI,

On Wed, February 23, 2022 9:35 am, Paul Kinzelman wrote:
> I always balance my accounts every month. I used to use Quicken before
> they went to a rental model. Credit cards always balanced every month
> for me.
>
> I've been using GC for several years now, and notice that I sometimes
> can't
> get cards to balance, I have to add an imbalance amount. Then this
> month, I noticed that a charge that was on this month's statement
> and not last month's statement was already marked as reconciled in GC.
>
> Has anybody else noticed anything like this?
>
> I don't even know how to track this kind of thing down, whether it's
> a bug, or I'm just getting older and senile. :-)

without being rude, I would suggest the latter.
How are you entering your transactions?
I always enter them manually (I NEVER import), and when I have a problem
balancing I find it's *ALMOST ALWAYS* an error on my part (especially with
my wife's card, because I don't get receipts from any online shopping she
does).  When entering I find I sometimes swap digits, which causes the
result to be off.
Every once in a while I have to cancel the reconcile and start over and
CAREFULLY watch the numbers to find where I entered something incorrectly.

If you find you're off, then check again -- most likely something was
entered wrong.  Either that or you modified an existing, reconciled
transaction (from the other side) which caused a break in that starting
balance.

> Ideas?
>
> TIA!

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745