[GNC] reconcile problem?

Stephen M. Butler Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 12:08:03 EST 2022

On 2/23/22 07:23, Paul Kinzelman wrote:
> The latter is certainly possible, but it's strange that this started with
> gnucash, didn't happen with Quicken. But if nobody else has noticed
> this, then maybe it is the latter. :-)
>
> And I have NEVER connected it to my account, as you suggested,
> I ALWAYS enter everything by hand.
>
> Oh, and I'm using the Windows latest version.
>
> A while ago, I remember seeing a number of transactions which were
> marked as reconciled become unreconciled as well, and it balanced after
> I checked them as reconciled again the next month.
>
> The real kicker was the one item I noticed that came up reconciled
> this month as tho I had done it last month. And I couldn't have done it
> last month or else it would have been unbalanced. And the charge
> was not on last month's statement.
>
> But if nobody else has seen anything like this, maybe it is something
> I'm doing. But it's strange that I never saw it with Quicken, thus my
> post.
>
> On 2/23/2022 7:51 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> HI,
>>
>> On Wed, February 23, 2022 9:35 am, Paul Kinzelman wrote:
>>> I always balance my accounts every month. I used to use Quicken before
>>> they went to a rental model. Credit cards always balanced every month
>>> for me.
>>>
>>> I've been using GC for several years now, and notice that I sometimes
>>> can't
>>> get cards to balance, I have to add an imbalance amount. Then this
>>> month, I noticed that a charge that was on this month's statement
>>> and not last month's statement was already marked as reconciled in GC.
>>>
>>> Has anybody else noticed anything like this?
>>>
>>> I don't even know how to track this kind of thing down, whether it's
>>> a bug, or I'm just getting older and senile. :-)
>> without being rude, I would suggest the latter.
>> How are you entering your transactions?
>> I always enter them manually (I NEVER import), and when I have a problem
>> balancing I find it's *ALMOST ALWAYS* an error on my part (especially
>> with
>> my wife's card, because I don't get receipts from any online shopping
>> she
>> does).  When entering I find I sometimes swap digits, which causes the
>> result to be off.
>> Every once in a while I have to cancel the reconcile and start over and
>> CAREFULLY watch the numbers to find where I entered something
>> incorrectly.
>>
>> If you find you're off, then check again -- most likely something was
>> entered wrong.  Either that or you modified an existing, reconciled
>> transaction (from the other side) which caused a break in that starting
>> balance.
>>
>>> Ideas?
>>>
>>> TIA!
>> -derek

For my CC purchases I do an OFX download of the transactions for the
most recent statement once a month.  It automatically marks the
transactions as cleared for me (so I don't have to check them off at
reconcile time) and almost always balances.

This month was one of the rare exceptions and it appears that one of the
transactions to which I had to assign an account was duplicated with the
following transaction removed.  Can't prove it at this time so I'll be
watching to see if I can catch it happening again (and this time I'll
keep the import file around!)

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com