[GNC] Building 4.9 on ubuntu - install location

john jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Jan 2 19:44:15 EST 2022

> On Jan 2, 2022, at 2:53 PM, M <M_Stagl at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am slowly learning the process of building Gnucash and think I am getting the hang of it.  My last build was Gnucash 4.9 on a fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04 in a VM (after some help on this mailing list!).
>
> Per the instructions on
>
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building_On_Linux#System_wide_multiuser_installation_locations
>
> it appears that if I use the command cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt, the software should install to /opt/gnucash.  Every time I build gnucash 4.9, it appears to be installing directly to /opt.  If I use /opt/gnucash as the install prefix, it seems to install to /opt/gnucash.
>
> Is this the normal behavior?  Am I misreading the wiki?  It seems to read that during building, if the install prefix is /opt it will install to /opt/gnuash.

Yup, it's doing exactly what you're telling it to. If you want /opt/gnucash tell it that.

Note, though, that CMake puts etc/gnucash in what many think is an odd place when you set the prefix to anything beginning with /opt, see https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/module/GNUInstallDirs.html#special-cases <https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/module/GNUInstallDirs.html#special-cases>.

Regards,
John Ralls