[GNC] how to find where to move file

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Mon Jan 3 09:33:21 EST 2022

On 1/2/2022 10:35 PM, Chuck wrote:
> Hi: guess I am just thick....
>
> OK, so I am 89 years young so maybe the wiki I looked in is wrong?
>
> Finding the place in my updated version of Linux Ubuntu is my problem,
> Help would be appreciated.
>
> Chuck

I'll tell you the "trick" I use when going to a new system (not the same
version OS as the old).

I create a "test" user (well I always do that anyway). With software
installed (bot not user data) for each application where I am uncertain
where it user data NOW belongs.  open the app, go through any necessary
setup as a new user of that app, close it, and then search for all newly
created directories and file. That will show me if there are any changes
in location when I will be moving user data from backup to my (actual)
user partition.

Michael D Novack

PS: Windows folk, remember to set your "explorer" to be able to see
"hidden" files and you want to see full paths. BTW, this is how I
discovered about the "roaming" directory when migrating from an old
machine under Win 7 to a new one under Win 10.