[GNC] GNUCash 4.9

davidcousens49 at gmail.com davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 20:34:26 EST 2022

Steve,

The trick is to change ithe filename so that there is no datetime stamp as part
of the filename i.e. change
"<filename>_20220102103645{_[<timestamp>[_[...]]].gnucash" to
"filename>.gnucash" then use File->Open to open it. Substitute your timestamp
for what I have used and ignore th [] if you only have one timestamp level.

If you use File->Close from the menu to close the program (and File ->Save  when
you make changes,) that name will be stored as the last file opened and reopened
when you next start GnuCash.

GnuCash will still create the backup and logfiles files with the timestamp added
in the directory your mainfile is in unless you set the user preerences to
prevent this happening (not generally a good idea as this is your protection
when something goes wrong) but whenever you open the file you only open
 <filename>.gnucash not any of the backup or log files.

You only need to use the backup and log files where GnuCash has crashed or has
corrupted your main file. The the last good backup file can be restored and the
log files can be rerun to get back to where you were.  Sometimes you might have
to edit the log file to remove any transaction which actually caused a crash (
very rare).

David Cousens