[GNC] show unposted invoices in customer report?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Jan 4 17:03:29 EST 2022

On 1/4/22 12:24 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Feel free to write a new report and submit it to the team for inclusion.
> In 20 years, you're the first person to ask for this.

Maybe not to this level of detail, or with this specific
solution/suggestion, but the basic question I've seen several times,
because the UI does not make it obvious.

I'd really like this feature too, but not in a report so much. I'd just
like to not have to go the long way 'round to find un-posted invoices.
But my idea involves an entire re-write of how the Business Features
works at present. That's beyond my time or talent for now, and I respect
that devs do things for their own needs, on their own volunteer time,
and try to be as responsive as possible, but can't please everyone.
which is why I haven't mentioned it. I'd bet there are other users
silent on such issues for similar reasons.

> How many unposted invoices do you have at a time?
> If not many, why not just leave your unposted invoices open until you post
> them?
> Still, it shouldn't be something that you need to do often.

This would have been my suggestion but you beat me to it.

Another would be to use a 'work completed' account. (I do this for some
customers/projects) This is where I record work as it is done, then when
I am ready to invoice *and post*, I book it against this 'work
completed' account. If there is any balance in that account, it means
there is work not yet invoiced. I still need to figure out a good way to
rapidly identify *which* transactions in the account haven't been invoiced.

The only time I don't use this account is when I'm ready to post when
I'm writing an invoice with little or no delay after the work is completed.

Regards,
Adrien