[GNC] Commission sales and business features

R. Victor Klassen rvklassen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 12:14:59 EST 2022

We occasionally sell something through a third party acting in a broker role.  Which is to say the item is never the possession of the party who does the sale - or at least not owned by them.

When I do the invoice I do not know the actual customer so I create a pseudo customer as a stand-in.  I put in line items for everything sold and then I would like to have a item for commission which reduces the total amount owed.

Adding to the complexity is that commission is taxable,  while none of the other line items is.

Here’s the question:   The commission should be booked against cost of sales which is an expense.  Invoices don’t permit expenses, just assets, income and liabilities.

How do folks normally treat this?

Sent from my iPhone