[GNC] Idiots guide to building GNC 4.9 on Ubuntu 20.04LTS

Jeff beastmaster126 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 8 03:44:33 EST 2022

On 1/8/22 1:42 AM, david whiting wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jan 2022 at 07:33, Jeff <beastmaster126 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Not sure if any of this is related or not to unsuccessful builds.  Side note: your shell runs and completes but; now I'll be flipped if I can find where it puts the executable now. Directory /opt is empty.
> If it built and you used the defaults in the script, then it will be
> in ~/Documents/gnucash/build/bin. Change to that directory and try
> running it from there:
>
> cd ~/Documents/gnucash/build/bin
> ./gnucash
>
> If that works, but it isn't in /opt/ then change to the build
> directory and run make install:
>
> cd ~/Documents/gnucash/build/
> sudo make install
>
> David

No joy.  Your first option gives me a list of errors longer than my leg
before crashing.  The second ends with:

CMake Error at cmake_install.cmake:41 (file):
   file INSTALL cannot set permissions on
   "/opt/gnucash/share/doc/gnucash/AUTHORS": Operation not permitted.

If I run it (in opt), then I get a whole list of errors before it
decides to run version 4.8, not 4.9.  And automatically opens a set of
books that I have not updated for several months, and I am damn sure not
going to let it touch it with all of the errors it is generating.

Somewhere I am making a beginners mistake.  It cannot be this hard to
make a working version.  Especially with all of the guidance you all
have provided me.

At this time I think it would be wise for me to remove every GNC file I
can find and start over.  But it is beginning to look like a clean start
means waiting until tax season is over.  The IRS and the state
department of revenue wait for no one without penalties.

One way or another I am going to build a working version from source.  I
love programming, and chasing down gremlins to much. Who knows, once I
get the chance I might even offer some code of my own.  The QIF import
needs a little tweaking for the novice, it doesn't differentiate debits
from credits on import, makes it a problem on import.

--

--JEffrey Black M.B.A.