[GNC] Bill - Book Item lines to different Customers.

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon Jan 10 11:49:47 EST 2022

Michael,

On Mon, January 10, 2022 11:33 am, Michael or Penny Novack wrote:
> On 1/10/2022 1:49 AM, Allan Belcher wrote:

> a) How are you accounting for things that will (eventually) get invoiced
> to each horse owner. In other words, you don't yet have all the things
> that will be going onto the invoice.

This is irrelevant to the OP's question.

> b) You are asking about multiple owners horse's on the bill to the
> farrier, but suppose there were only one?

Yes.  The farrier comes and shoes three horses and gives a single (vendor)
bill.  But that single bill needs to be split amongst three customers.
GnuCash does not currently support that.

> c) Suppose you were dealing with a bill for a vendor that included items
> that were not all in the same expense account (fell into different
> expense categories in your CoA)

That is irrelevant here.

> Folks, since I do not use the business features, I can't test this

Exactly..  So you don't know how the features work.  I would recommend you
take a back seat here, because you don't know how to features work in
GnuCash.  While you are amazing at getting users to actually say what they
are trying to do and get to the basic accounting issues at hand, I'm
afraid in THIS particular case you're just confusing the issue.

GnuCash has a chargeback feature that allows you to select items from a
vendor bill and automatically charge them back to a customer.  Selected
line-items from the bill to auto-populate into the invoice(s) for that
customer (until you select them to apply to a specific invoice).

This works great if there is a 1:1 mapping of vendor bill -> customer,
because you can only assign a SINGLE Customer to the Bill.

Unfortunately GnuCash does not currently support mapping individual
line-items to different customers.  And that's the crux of the question.

SO..  The only way to do it within the confines of what GnuCash currently
does, unfortunately, would be to enter three individual bills (one for
each customer) -- but then you can "merge" them into a single "Vendor Job"
and you can pay them all at once via Process Payment.  Each vendor bill
would allow you to charge-back to a different customer.

As I posted in my initial response -- this has been an outstanding issue
since 2002.

Thanks,

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745