[GNC] Bill - Book Item lines to different Customers.

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Mon Jan 10 18:22:10 EST 2022

> Exactly..  So you don't know how the features work.
And that might actually be an advantage
> GnuCash has a chargeback feature that allows you to select items from a
> vendor bill and automatically charge them back to a customer.  Selected
> line-items from the bill to auto-populate into the invoice(s) for that
> customer (until you select them to apply to a specific invoice).
>
> This works great if there is a 1:1 mapping of vendor bill -> customer,
> because you can only assign a SINGLE Customer to the Bill.

Ah yes, but how did we get to this single bill? Where did this bill get
separate lines?

In other words, let's change this slightly. The farrier comes to my
stable and shoes three horses, my horse and the horses of two of my
customers << I am boarding horses >>. The farrier didn't give me an
invoice with separate lines for horse a, horse b, and horse c. She gave
me an invoice with a single line; shoed three horses, $X

In other words, it looks to me that what is described below comes from
MY creating a bill with those separated into separate lines and I
suppose the objection about what is lacking is the ability to do that
rather than merging three separate bills.

And the example we are working with is simple (I mean the invoice from
the vendor). It could be far more complex, have "lines", but those not
corresponding to a customer. Thus from the vendor an invoice for:

12 type A widgets @$10         $120

8  type B widgets   @$5             $40

3 type C widgets    @&17          $51

                                                     ----------

                                                     $211

NOW --- of these, 4 of the type A widgets are to be charged back to
customer #1 and 5 to customer #2 and 3 to inventory

                                 6 of the type B widgets are to be
charged back to customer #1 and 2 to customer #2

                                 2 of the type C widgets are to be
charged back to customer #1 and one to inventory

So obviously I'd have to be doing the breaking up, into lines if not
separate bills.. BUT don't I also want to wend up with something that
bears some resemblance to what arrived? In other words, if this WERE
done as three bills that were then merged into a "vendor job" what does
that look like?

Michael D Novack

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.