[GNC] gnucash-user Digest, Vol 226, Issue 56

davidcousens49 at gmail.com davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 17:07:41 EST 2022

Dan,

This really has nothing to do with crash recovery per se, just makes that easier
as it is easier to locate the appropriate files.

You can move an existing data file to its own directory by using the file
manager to create a suitable directory and then moving the main data file and
any backup log and lock files for it to that directory manually using the
filemanager. (holding CTRL while clicking on the individual files you want to
move should do that on most operating systems) There is no setting to do that.
Once you have setup like this there should be no need to do it again unless you
are creating a different set of books.

It also makes backups much easier as you can just copy the directories to your
backup system without having to copy the individual files one by one.

When you reopen GnuCash it will then not find the file in its old location so
you use File->Open and navigate to the new directory and select the data file.
The program will then open it in that location in future and will then create
all  future backup, log and lock files in that directory. If you have multiple
GnuCash sets of books then this keeps them tidy.

I use a main directory for all my GnuCash files which has a sub-directory for
each individual data file so all my data files reside in one location but the
organization you use has to be appropriate to your work flow and nature of your
operations.

David Cousens