[GNC] Adding late charges to a vendor bill after posting?

Eric H. Bowen eric at ehbowen.net
Sat Jan 29 20:57:14 EST 2022

Property taxes are due. Actually, by the time you read this, they will
be past due... I used the "vendor bill" Payables system to track this
when I got the tax bill in November and I've made a partial payment, but
the funds just are not there to choke down the whole thing. So I'm going
to get gigged for a late fee, and possibly even more if I can't settle
up by the end of February.

What's the proper way to track this? If it gets to the point where I
need to make a monthly payment arrangement (basically a 12 month note) I
was going to enter the note as a new liability and credit that towards
the tax payment due. But if I can get this cleared up by late February
or mid-March then I'll just have a month or two of late fees/interest
due. Is there a way to associate that with the tax payment after the
bill has been posted? How should it properly be handled?

Asking for a friend....