[GNC] Transaction Paste problem?

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 14:10:14 EDT 2022

For comparison I tried the Duplicate Transaction feature in release 3.8.  I
do not use the Basic Ledger View much but I did switch to that view first
before trying the function on a transaction that has lots of splits.
Because GnuCash had been open since yesterday, I first received a pop-up
asking me what date to use.  I let it use yesterday's date so I could
better see what happened.  The resulting duplicate was identical except for
the date.

Then I tried the Transaction Copy/Paste feature and found that when I tried
to Paste I got a warning that I would overwrite an existing transaction,
probably because I did not move to a different transaction before trying to
paste.  After moving to a different transaction I got the same overwrite
warning.  If I used the Move to Blank transaction then pasted I got the
duplicate as a new entry which I had to accept before switching to a
different transaction.  I think all those tests passed in release 3.8, so
perhaps there is a problem with the current release.

On Fri, Jul 1, 2022 at 11:54 AM Paul Kinzelman <paul at kinzelman.com> wrote:

> This happened in 4.9 so I upgraded to 4.11 (latest) and it's still
> happening.
> Running on W10.
>
> If I Transaction|Copy, say a credit card charge, then paste it into the
> same or a different credit-card account, it doesn't display or paste
> correctly.
>
> So if I have a transaction in a credit card account like
> Date, SomeCompany, Expenses:someaccount, Payment blank, Charge $12.34,
> Balance $1123
>
> Then I copy it and paste it into the same or different credit card account,
> I expect to see that same line with the date changed to today so that I
> can Enter and commit that transaction.
>
> However, in Basic Ledger View after the paste, what I see is:
> Date, SomeCompany, Liability:SameAccount, Payment $12.34, Charge blank,
> Balance $1123
> The payment is in the wrong column, and the account in the transaction
> is the same account that I'm already viewing.
> And if I Enter, the transaction seems to vanish because it's a transfer
> from
> and to the same account.
>
> But if I do the same thing but before Enter, go to View Transaction
> Journal,
> then the pasted transaction looks correct, just like the one I copied.
> And then if I Enter, the transaction is committed correctly.
> And then if I go back to Basic Ledger View, the transaction still looks OK.
>
> So to make it work, I have to go to View Transaction Journal, do the
> paste and
> enter, then go back to Basic Ledger View
> -Paul Kinzelman

David Carlson