[GNC] Online Help manual CSV import section is out of date

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 02:36:06 EDT 2022

I had not looked at the Tutorial version on importing transactions
recently.  I see it is now calling itself obsolete and it really is.  I do
not want to get into a discussion about which document should contain what
information, but neither should be obsolete.  One of them should be very
detailed and could be referenced by the other.

The help windows included with the import wizards are currently the best
source of information but they are only available while using the wizards.
Unfortunately it is a very slow process to complete an import if there are
more than a dozen or so transactions in the file, and I think even that
fact should be mentioned in the  help.  There is no help at all for
importing multi-split line transactions which did work correctly for me
with a bank account file created by the GnuCash export process.

The help manual bundled with the Windows version of release 4.11 at least
contains a couple current illustrations if not good information about the
various details that are needed to get good results.  It is the third
import screen which is not illustrated in the help manual that contains the
word category which has a different meaning to former Quicken users than to
GnuCash users.

On Sun, Jul 17, 2022 at 11:45 PM flywire <flywire0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the GnuCash Tutorial and Concepts Guide is an excellent
> introduction for Getting Started and Managing Personal Finances. The small
> dataset demonstrates a lot. The only thing that really looks dated is the
> checkbook-style transaction descriptions which are very different to modern
> bank transaction descriptions. I understand from general comments in the
> mailing list that others have a different view but I don't think those
> concerns have been clearly described, something that is needed to fix the
> problems.
>
> How about aligning the Help manual Importing transactions from files with
> the Concepts guide transactions? IIRC that's how it was when this section
> was in the guide. I'm happy to contribute.

David Carlson