[GNC] New User Oh boy I need an accountant

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Jul 18 21:14:26 EDT 2022

Someone who is more familiar with the importer can help, but from what I
see in the screenshots:

The first image looks reasonable. You just need to assign the 'transfer'
accounts in the first column. (the sources or destinations for funds
in/out of the bank account)

The second screenshot appears that you figured that part out as I see
reasonable accounts assigned, but as you noted the amounts are all
deposits (debits) rather than both. However, the third screenshot of the
matcher seems to indicate you didn't assign those accounts, hence the
warnings, so not sure how you ended up with the result in #2.

You can delete them all and try again after figuring out where you went
wrong, or, simply put a minus sign in front of each amount that needs to
flip. GnuCash will do the flipping. This is easier than cut/paste or
deleting and re-entering. AND, you don't have to redo the import, but
there is a benefit to teaching the matcher to get things right. So if
you can deal with doing so, deleting those transactions and re-importing
might be best.

As for the more complicated transaction, turn on View > Transaction
Journal mode, now you can see all splits at all times. Simply enter the
extra splits in that transaction as needed. (you can also use the Split
button on the toolbar instead for that one transaction.) Just remember
your debits/credits (withdrawals/deposits) need to balance. (GnuCash
will create an Imbalance or Orphan split if you don't balance it with
your own accounts properly)

You'd have one split for the net deposit to the bank, then a separate
split for each deduction, and finally a split for the gross to an Income
account.

As for documentation, think of the Help Manual as a description of the
screens, menus, and buttons. The Tutorial & Concepts Guide is more of a
'how to'.

Regards,
Adrien