[GNC] New User Oh boy I need an accountant

davidcousens49 at gmail.com davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 22:14:40 EDT 2022

Phyllis,

The problem with the import is the negative sign on the Debit/Withdrawal column.
GnuCash expects this to be a positive quantity when the debits and credits are
in separate columns, i.e if both columns are specified then both columns are
positive. If the data is in a single column then negative for the debits and
positive for the credits (in the bank's account) will work fine. You would
normally apply only the Deposit header to that single column (if they import in
reverse order, then you would apply the Withdrawal header)

 In the third image, the import matcher window, the background color is yellow
because the second account ( you are importing to the GnuCash account
corresponding to your checking account) and you will need to assign, generally
an income or expense account and occasionally an asset or liability account in
most cases for the second entry (split in GnuCash terminology) for the
transaction. If the reason for this isn't clear, the introductory chapter of the
Gnucash guide (https://code.gnucash.org/docs/C/gnucash-guide/chapter_basics.html
) has a brief outline of the relevant accounting concepts.

David Cousens