[GNC] Memory demands and system performance of Gnucash (Was Re: GC4.10 on Win10 Crashing)

Geoff cleanoutmyshed at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 20:26:00 EDT 2022

Hi David T.

Regarding this issue:

 > significant lag when I Alt-tab from another application back to gnucash.

To me, this indicates a shortage of physical RAM, possibly combined with
high I/O on the disc containing your swap file (usually C:\).  As you
probably know, when you Alt-TAB to switch GnuCash back into focus,
Windows has to:
(a) Flush some RAM from other applications to the swap file on disc to
free it up, and
(b) Load the stored GnuCash data from the swap file on disc into free RAM.

How much RAM do you have installed?

What to do about this?  Apart from the obvious hardware upgrades:
(a) Additional RAM, and/or
(b) Replace mechanical hard disc with SSD or NVME

You can (see attached screenshots):
(c) Use the Windows Task Manager to identify what processes are using
all your RAM
(d) Use the Windows Resource Monitor to identify what processes are
doing a lot of I/O (for example your cloud services).

Then, experiment by shutting down some of these processes to see if you
can improve your Alt-TAB response times.

I doubt if this is a GnuCash issue per se, it sounds like either a lack
of resources or an overloaded computer.

Good luck!

Regards

Geoff