[GNC] Find

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Fri Jul 29 13:39:13 EDT 2022

What version of GnuCash and on what operating system?

-----

Does the account appear in your account tree? (I'm guessing you don't
see it though, which is why you're using the Find Account feature)

Is it Hidden?

(note, this should not matter, I can 'find' hidden accounts)

Also note, the Find Account feature shows you all accounts without even
having to enter search criteria. Is it not in that list?

-----

Do you have a register that has a transaction involving that account as
the 'transfer' or 'other' account? If so, open that account, then
right-click the memo line and choose 'jump to other account'. (near the
bottom of the menu) If that doesn't work or you don't get that option,
try View > Transaction Journal View and then you'll see the two (or
more) splits for all transactions. Choose a split line containing the
account you are looking for and then right-click that split and choose
the Jump entry.

This will open the register for the account you are trying to find.

Then Edit > Edit Account. This will open a dialog to edit the account
and in the bottom-right pane will show you the parent of this account
highlighted.

Now you know where it is.

If you don't have any transactions containing that account at all,
perhaps you deleted the account?

----

Another option is *from the Accounts tab* use Edit > Find (the plain
one, not Find Account) to search for transactions.

Set the criteria to 'Account' 'matches any account' and then choose the
account. If there are no results, you have no transactions in that account.

Otherwise, proceed as above.

----

If the account does have transactions in it, but doesn't show up in the
Find Account, or Find (choose accounts) lists, then perhaps you've found
a bug.

Regards,
Adrien