[GNC] CC card balances

Kevin T nevikintx at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 10 11:35:39 EDT 2022

I attached a snip jpg.  I don't know if they make it through.  The transfer is from an 'Asset' account.  I did check the preferences and the 'reverse' was set on the cc accounts.   I changed that and the balance is now positive.
Thanks.
Kevin

    On Friday, June 10, 2022, 10:10:18 AM CDT, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:

 Hi,

On Fri, June 10, 2022 11:01 am, Kevin T via gnucash-user wrote:
> I have created a new credit card account.  Completely empty, zero
> balance.From one of the other accounts, I have transferred monies to this
> account.Viewing this account, the transfers show up as entries in the
> 'Payment' column, as they should.But...The balance becomes more negative
> with each transfer.  This is counter intuitive to me.  Is there some way
> of interpreting this different?Why?

There are a couple of possibilities.  The first is that you are entering
the transaction backwards.  This can happen easily if you, for example,
enter the account from the Expense account.  This is why we (I?) always
recommend you enter transactions from an Asset or Liability account.

The other option is that your settings for showing reverse balances isn't
set correctly.  This setting tells GnuCash to "reverse" the balance of
accounts that are "normally" negative.  The default should be "Credit
Accounts", but you may have accidentally changed it.

Hope this helps,

> Kevin

      Derek Atkins                617-623-3745
      derek at ihtfp.com            www.ihtfp.com