[GNC] CC card balances

Fred Bone Fred at mandfb.me.uk
Fri Jun 10 13:32:48 EDT 2022

On 10 June 2022 at 15:01, Kevin T said:

> I have created a new credit card account.  Completely empty, zero
> balance.From one of the other accounts, I have transferred monies to this
> account.Viewing this account, the transfers show up as entries in the
> 'Payment' column, as they should.But...The balance becomes more negative
> with each transfer.  This is counter intuitive to me.  Is there some
> way of interpreting this different?Why?

If you pay out from a liability account (such as a credit card) the
balance (amount you owe) increases. When you make payments into it, the
balance decreases. If you make payments into such an account starting
from a zero balance, the balance goes negative.

Gnucash is set up to reflect this, unless you change things in
Preferences.

Of course, if you have set up your credit card as something other than a
Liability, all bets are off.