[GNC] How to reorganize the account tree

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 13 10:46:20 EDT 2022

I use account codes in my file, and  like it quite a bit. You can add
the Code to the Chart of Accounts (CoA) page and quickly sort on it as
one would with any other displayed column. I'll note that the tree
aspect of the CoA means that the sorting will still be
hierarchical--that is, accounts will only sort in order at the same
level of hierarchy.

You can take advantage of this. A little trick I've used in my (perhaps
exceedingly) deep CoA is to refrain from assigning codes in certain
accounts, such as for individual commodities in investment accounts. I
do this because adding codes to the (often many) individual commodity
accounts quickly bogs down in a portfolio with even just a few
transactions per year. Instead, I use a single dummy code in the
commodities (1), and a blank for the associated Cash account. This
places the cash account at the top of the account listing, where I can
quickly find it; all the other commodities will then sort alphabetically
afterward. I find this kludge workable for my circumstances; your
results may vary.

David T.