[GNC] How to reorganize the account tree

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 03:07:11 EDT 2022

Some users have intuitively suggested using Account Codes, which is the
right answer: the default sorting within the account tree has *always*[1]
prioritised account codes over other fields e.g. account type and name.
However there was an undocumented base-36 sort[2] which was removed without
fanfare a few years ago, causing unexpected sorting.

[1] current sorting of account codes
https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/65eae554bec2d360600c7ff62ac72d92665c1f59/libgnucash/engine/Account.cpp#L2362

[2] base-36 account code sorting
https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/f47b53a310d9e40020846043c31f0400a79b6308/src/engine/Account.c#L1259