[GNC] Import importing duplicate trans

Stephen M. Butler Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 17:04:32 EDT 2022

Today I tracked down a problem I've had with OFX import from Citi CC
(Costco).

I did a partial month import a couple weeks ago.  Today I imported the
entire statement period (so had several transactions already present).
The import "lost" a new entry and "duplicated" an entry already imported.

The import bypassed the first fourteen (14) IDs in the file. However,
the 14th transaction had not been previously loaded.  The 15th
transaction (which it loaded) was already loaded by the prior import.
Starting with the 16th transaction all the remainder loaded correctly.

Looking at the FTID numbers, I suspect that Citi assigns them by
YYYYMMDDxxxx where the YYYYMMDD is the transaction date and xxxx is a
sequential number for this file.

I've seen transactions for the same date appearing in random order (not
the order in which I remember the charges happening).

In this particular case, a couple more transactions for the last date
previously downloaded (partial statement period) appeared and were
assigned numbers earlier in the file than transactions already downloaded.

Hence, Citi assigned FTIDs do not stay with the transaction but are
assigned at download time.

The lesson for me is to not download a partial statement period.

The implication is that the FTID from Citi is not trustworthy for match
purposes.

--Steve

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM