[GNC] Bitcoin Lightning payments

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Sun Jun 19 09:56:55 EDT 2022

On Sat, 18 Jun 2022 at 22:32, Michael or Penny Novack <
stepbystepfarm at comcast.net> wrote:

> ogram, just

b) NO, not a "lame excuse". Misunderstanding of what the ISO is/does. It
sets STANDARDS. In other words, "for currency X use ABX" (or whatever).
Dr. David, if there is no agreed standard for what the three letter
currency code for "bitcoin" is, what should the developers use? Should
they simply use ANY three characters not already in use for some
currency that has an ISO currency code? There are > 17 thousand three
character codes possible and only the order of a hundred or two in use.

Obviously BTC

In general I think standards are good - especially internationally agreed
ones. But according to the ISO website

https://www.iso.org/news/ref2466.html

ISO 4217 is never going to cover cryptocurrencies.  ISO are apparently
looking at crypto.

Personally I feel while ISO is thinking about it, open source software
should just get on an implement the obvious ones. The most obvious is
bitcoin, and that would be BTC. The top 25 by market cap would probably
satisfy almost all users.

Another solution, which would obviously be more work, is for a use to
create a text file with information about other currencies.

BTW, years ago I had a Nigerian scammer try to scam me. I decided to get my
own back, and got him up quote for various items. He thought he was going
to get about $25,000 out of me, but he actually ended up with a huge phone
bill phoning a very expensive number I had. He reckoned one FAX cost him
$50. Anyway, I was very keen to pay in Jersey Royals, not USD, but he
wanted USD. Had he Googled Jersey Royals, he would have realised that they
were a variety of potato and not a currency.😂😂😂😂 I had several months
of fun winding him up😂😂

> Michael D Novack

Dave .
--
Dr. David Kirkby,
Kirkby Microwave Ltd,
drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
Telephone 01621-680100./ +44 1621 680100

Registered in England & Wales, company number 08914892.
Registered office:
Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Althorne, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 6DT, United
Kingdom