[GNC] Could Not Obtain Lock

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sun Jun 26 16:39:36 EDT 2022

On 6/26/2022 3:22 PM, Abe Sternberg wrote:
> I am using Windows 11.  I try to close GnuCash properly, though there have
> been times when I may not have.  Also, I have had some Windows updates
> while GnuCash was left open.  I will look for the update and advise if the
> error continues.
>
> Thanks,
> Abe

a) "file in use" << that's what "cannot obtain lock file" means >> if
CORRECT if you have not closed gnucash properly. This is not unique to
gnucash but normal for any application using the "lock file" method of
preventing multiple access to data.

     IF you are certain the file is not in use (by another instance of
gnucash) you can override if/when the application provides an easy way
to do that. Or you can go into the directory (file folder) where the
data file lives and delete the lock file -- it will always be in the
same directory.

b) Do NOT proceed with an operating system update while you have
application open. Again, this is not specific to gnucash. You should
have settings related to how updates happen that will allow you to do
this. Safest if to have the option of doing the updates wit the shutdown
process.

Michael D Novack

PS -- The "file lock" is a method to allow multiple sequential access
while preventing multiple simultaneous access. When you ask gnucash (or
any other application using this method) to open a data file, the
program looks in the same directory for the corresponding lock file. If
NOT found, it creates that file and proceeds. When gnucash (or any other
application using this method) closes, the  last thing it does is delete
the lock file. So if the program does not get to close properly, the
lock file is left behind,