[GNC] Gnucash 3.8 Questions

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Mon Mar 7 03:11:01 EST 2022

On Mon, 7 Mar 2022 15:56:47 +0800
Lokesh Yagnik <yagniklokesh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Questions
> - Can this version (or any version) of Gnucash allow remote access? Or
> (from what I think is the case) will just have to allow him to remote
> log in to my computer and then look at Gnucash
>
> - Since I was learning, I have resisted the temptation to update to a
> newer version of Gnucash. To upgrade, my understanding is that I need
> to upgrade each version to the most uptodate stable version.
>  As for backing up the current stuff, I will need to back up the
> various XYXYXY.gnucash files or does the entire string -
> Folder1/folder2/folder3/XYXYXY.gnucash has to be replicated?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> LY

Remote access can be achieved, but it involves technological knowhow to
do it safely and securely.
You could decide to email the file each reporting period, and have the
accountant make any notes and email it back. I make the reports that my accountant needs and provide those.

Keeping up to date with Gnucash is a *good idea*. Catching up when your
version is a long way behind is difficult.
I am not usually on the *latest* but one or two releases behind.

What to back up is covered in the FAQ
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Questions_about_Backups
which I see now leads to longer articles in the wiki

Liz