[GNC] Report - Income Statement - Layout problem

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Wed Mar 23 11:26:19 EDT 2022

On 3/23/2022 9:48 AM, Carl-Kensaku HERBORT wrote:

> I already have to use two separate software: an ERP/CRM for invoicing
> and daily accounting and GnuCash for heavier monthly/yearly
> accounting, mainly to produce the Income Statement Report and Balance
> Sheet report (or so was my plan). I didn't know that GnuCash was not
> made for that and that a third software (or SCHEME/HTML coding &
> modifications) was needed just to get even basic reports that all SME
> business need.
>
> I guess there is a first for everything: I am giving up.

Hopefully you are still here to read this, but if not, might clarify a
misconception others might also have.

That an "application" might not all be implemented in the same computer
language does NOT make it "multiple software". In fact, it is advisable
to design any sizeable program in pieces (for SEVERAL reasons) and the
pieces can be in different languages, choosing the language based on
what makes that part easier to code. Keep in mind that the pieces, once
compiled, aren't "in" their source code language any more.

OK, all the programmers in a large "shop" might not know all of the
languages and so only work on a part of the system whee they do know the
language. Others, like myself, might be fluent in all the main languages
used and a least be able to read all of them.

You CAN write anything in any "complete" computer language but some are
particularly well suited to some task but clumsy for other things. To
give you an example, early in my working days, when learning the IBM
mainframe string processing language CLIST I came up with a "case
problem" for myself, a "palindrome tester" -- prompts the user to enter
a string and reports if that string is a palindrome (by TEXT palindrome
rules, not mathematical palindrome rules which it trivial) and then asks
the user for another or to quit. After that I used this "case problem"
with every new language I learned to investigate its string processing
capability. Typically a program of a hundred or two lines. But if having
the standard tools of any 'nix operating system (linux, for example) can
be done in bash + the library of standard 'nix utilities in about 5
lines (say a hundred or two CHARACTERS).

BUT ---- this is very much to the point here. Gnucash is accounting
software. I expect it to be able to do THAT well. I do not expect of it
the capabilities of a powerful general purpose editor (program designed
to edit/format data). So while I could get by in SCHEME (not fluent in
LISP but can read it OK and it doesn't take me long to learn another
language) I do NOT try to edit gnucash reports IN GNUCASH. I don't care
how messed up in appearance as long as all the DATA is present in the
report and correct. I can simply export the raw report and then edit to
my heart's content with a powerful editor designed for THAT purpose.

Michael D Novack