[GNC] gnucash-user Digest, Vol 228, Issue 46

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sat Mar 26 08:21:56 EDT 2022

Eric,

First, as a matter of 'safe', I'd always edit a transaction from the
non-AR/AP account, that is, from your cash, check, et cetera account
where the funds originated/ended-up. You *can* edit transactions in
AR/AP, but you have to be careful about doing so. Chris' suggestion to
use the Edit Payment function *is* the right way to do it, but I still
have a preference from using the 'other' account.

-----

In this case, maybe don't edit the original transaction.

Simply click the Process Payment button (or use the menu entry).

Then search for the company, which will list all pre-payments remaining,
and all invoices outstanding.

Select the pre-payment *and* the invoice in question.

Do *NOT* edit the amount of the payment further down in the dialog.

Do *NOT* edit the source account.

You can put a note/memo.

The Refund field should remain blank.

You should be all squared away now.

-----

If you really want to change the first transaction instead, the easiest
thing to do is delete it.

Then Process Payment as if you'd never done so, put in the total amount
paid, and select BOTH the original invoice and the late-fee invoice.
(they should total the payment amount)

Now you'll have one transaction with two AP splits, one for each invoice
and both invoices will be closed as fully paid.

-----
3.8 is a bit dated, but I'm pretty sure this feature worked fine long
before then.

If you want more up-to-date and you aren't moving to 22.04 Jammy, take a
look into using the Flatpak version. There are a few limitations, but
they aren't terrible or difficult to work around. Otherwise you can
build it from source, though that is a tad more involved. (also not
terrible, but does require a little more effort)

Regards,
Adrien