[GNC] create desktop icons for GNC 4.9 Flatpak on Ubuntu

Jeff beastmaster126 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 29 02:18:58 EDT 2022

I have tried all of this.  As per your information I did in fact find an
icon in:

/var/lib/flatpak/app/org.gnucash.GnuCash/x86_64/stable/active/files/share/gnucash/pixmaps/gnucash-icon.ico

The desktop link gives me an error of "No suitable backend was found for
/home/jeffrey/Desktop/Dad.desktop".  I am using the XML save,
uncompressed.  I have a great distrust of compressed data files.

My .desktop file is:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Exec=flatpak run org.gnucash.GnuCash /media/jeffrey/'Mac
Drive'/Ledgers/Dad/Dad.gnucash
Name=GnuCash 4.9 FLATPAK Dad
Comment=Manage home and small business accounts
Icon=/var/lib/flatpak/app/org.gnucash.GnuCash/x86_64/stable/active/files/share/gnucash/pixmaps/gnucash-icon.ico

And in case you are wondering 'Mac Drive' is an external USB drive that
I bought on clearance for half price, and I am not using a Mac
computer.  I just never changed the drive name because I had trouble
with the initial install of the drive several years ago, pre-Ubuntu.
Turned out that I had a bad USB cable.  It works flawlessly if I
manually click on Dad.gnucash in the file manager.

This does not appear anywhere on my server.
/home/jeffrey/.local/share/flatpak/app/org.gnucash.GnuCash/x86_64/stable/active/files/share/gnucash/pixmaps/gnucash-icon.ico.

Permissions are set to run as executable for the desktop icon. Icon does
not show up, just the generic blank icon.  If I hit "Okay" I end up with
a new, empty, set of books.  If I manually open Dad.gnucash from the
link it opens the correct set of books but; wants to create scheduled
transactions going back to 2019. And I also simply installed GNC as a
Flatpak.  It also creates backups on the desktop.

For the life of me I cannot figure out what is going on.  I can create
desktop icons for everything except Flatpak programs.

I have to have a gremlin in my server, because I cannot even build a
working version of GNC from source (after uninstalling GNC).

As of right now I only have one user on my server.

--
--JEffrey Black M.B.A.

On 3/26/22 6:55 AM, david whiting wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> If you installed gnucash for a single user, then the icon file will be
> at the path I showed in the previous email (but you'll have to change
> the login name to yours):
>
> /home/david/.local/share/flatpak/app/org.gnucash.GnuCash/x86_64/stable/active/files/share/gnucash/pixmaps/gnucash-icon.ico
>
> If you installed gnucash as a system application for all users, then
> you will find the icon file here:
>
> /var/lib/flatpak/app/org.gnucash.GnuCash/x86_64/stable/active/files/share/gnucash/pixmaps/gnucash-icon.ico
>
> For the exec line, you might want to put the full path to the gnucash file, e.g.
>
> Exec=flatpak run org.gnucash.GnuCash /home/jeff/Documents/test-2.gnucash
>
> So, with a *system* installation and assuming that your login is jeff,
> then the desktop file might look like this:
>
> [Desktop Entry]
> Type=Application
> Terminal=false
> Exec=flatpak run org.gnucash.GnuCash /home/jeff/Documents/test-2.gnucash
> Name=GnuCash 4.9 FLATPAK test-2
> Comment=Manage home and small business accounts
> Icon=/var/lib/flatpak/app/org.gnucash.GnuCash/x86_64/stable/active/files/share/gnucash/pixmaps/gnucash-icon.ico
>
> (Note that the lines may be wrapped, if so, you'll need to unwrap them)
>
> Remember to right-click on the file on the desktop and choose "Allow launching".
>
> David
>
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2022 at 08:25, Jeff <beastmaster126 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I tried this but I cannot locate the actual GNC icon file.  I do have
>> one where I attempted, unsuccessfully, to build GNC 4.9 from source.
>>
>> I changed the path to the icon in the build directory.  And gave the
>> exec the path to one of my .gnucash files but the desktop link still
>> refuses to work.
>>

>> --
>> --JEffrey Black M.B.A.
>>

>> On 3/25/22 3:45 AM, david whiting wrote:
>>> Hi Jeff,
>>>
>>> The following works for me, with gnucash installed for a user:
>>>
>>> 1. Create a desktop file (using a text editor) with the entry shown below
>>> 2. On the Exec line, change Documents/test-2.gnucash to the path to
>>> your gnucash file
>>> 3. On the Name line, change this to whatever you want to call it, i.e.
>>> what you want to see on the desktop
>>> 4. Change the path for the icon to the correct location (perhaps
>>> changing /home/david to /home/jeff)
>>> 5. Save the file as whatever-you-want-to-call-it.desktop
>>> 6. Go to your desktop
>>> 7. Right-click on the file on the desktop and select "Allow launching"
>>> (this step is important)
>>> 8. Repeat this process for other files, changing the Exec line and
>>> Name lines accordingly
>>>

>>> [Desktop Entry]
>>> Type=Application
>>> Terminal=false
>>> Exec=flatpak run org.gnucash.GnuCash Documents/test-2.gnucash
>>> Name=GnuCash 4.9 FLATPAK test-2
>>> Comment=Manage home and small business accounts
>>> Icon=/home/david/.local/share/flatpak/app/org.gnucash.GnuCash/x86_64/stable/active/files/share/gnucash/pixmaps/gnucash-icon.ico
>>>

>>> David

--JEffrey Black M.B.A.