[GNC] create desktop icons for GNC 4.9 Flatpak on Ubuntu

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Mar 29 22:36:27 EDT 2022

For the icon issue, while Flatpak apps are sandboxed and might not have
access to that icon location, have you tried copying it to somewhere in
your home folder and seeing if that works? (it is the Desktop file using
it, so this would be weird, but I guess worth a shot)

https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Flatpak#Desktop_Icon
gives the example of making a desktop icon and it specifies a /.local
location in your home folder. That page might be assuming you installed
the app for one user (you) and not the system. This might be why the
icon file is in /var/lib instead of /jeffrey/.local. Though why that
matters, I'm stumped.

I also find it strange that GnuCash is storing backups on the desktop
when it is opening the file from the USB drive. But you can try adding a
"Path" to your desktop file to indicate the 'working' directory:

path=/media/jeffrey/'Mac Drive'/Ledgers/Dad/Dad.gnucash

Did this ever work right before you moved to Flatpak? (that is,
accessing the files from USB, saving backups in the right location with
the files, etc.)

Per my other comment about this being a 20.04 flatpak-related bug,
perhaps it has something to do with the mount-point or type of
mount-point of the USB.

Did you give permission to access the USB drive to flatpak? (as noted in
the wiki):
sudo flatpak override org.gnucash.GnuCash --filesystem=$PATH_TO_USB_DRIVE

Finally, are you 100% certain you don't have GnuCash installed either
from a build or .deb?

When you double-click a data file to open GnuCash (which you say works)
what version is reported?

What happens when you run your Exec command from the .desktop file in a
terminal?

Regards,
Adrien