[GNC] how to put loan downpayments in budgets

john jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Mar 29 23:43:31 EDT 2022

I think you're conflating two separate things. Saving up for a down payment is not buying a house. There's no property value to account for. Heck, there's not even a property yet: You don't even start looking until you've saved enough for the down payment.

The house purchase is easy: Suppose you buy a 100,000 house with the typical 20% down. That's just DR Assets:Fixed:House 100,000, CR Assets:Current:Savings 20,000, CR Liabilities:Mortgage 80,000.

Saving up that future down payment is just earmarking. The easy way is with a sub-account called "Down Payment" under whatever actual bank account holds the money, or maybe an actual separate account. Since it's usually a long-term goal it's worthwhile collecting enough to roll into a higher-interest (yeah, I know, but with inflation picking up interest on bank accounts will come back) account like a CD.

Regards,
John Ralls