[GNC] Is there a way to handle same-named GnuCash files sensibly?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue May 3 13:01:47 EDT 2022

So you've chosen an organization method that creates the problem but
then ask for how to avoid it? The answer seems pretty obvious to me:

Don't start a new file each year.

But before that, to your original question, what files exactly in
~/.local/... are you concerned about? One rarely needs to mess with them.

Concerning the configuration settings, particularly reporting period,
that problem too goes away with a single file rather than one for each year.

What is an example of what you'd expect/like to see instead?

And is something like 'building20.gnucash' really that clumsy?

How about 'building_20.gnucash' or 'building-20.gnucash'?

Are 2 or 3 characters really that much longer? (4 or 5 if whole year is
used)

How is adding the year to the name 'redundant'—because it is already in
a directory name? How often do you look at directory/file lists anyway?

You've chosen to 'artificially' break up your GnuCash file, then
stripped out most unique identifying information, and now you see the
problem but don't want to revisit those decisions.

One way or another you'll need to decide which is more important to you:
  Your chosen method of organization, or the filename readability and
length.

This isn't a 'GnuCash' problem. You could encounter this with *any* file
type and app.

Regards,
Adrien

-p.s. I've done this very thing myself a few times trying to settle on
the best method of organization. I ended up accepting dates in my file
names, though of course I could edit the file meta to fix this if
desired and then clean up the names. I felt it better to keep the
original crtime, which isn't readily viewable in a detailed listing anyway.