[GNC] Is there a way to handle same-named GnuCash files sensibly?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Tue May 3 12:37:20 EDT 2022

GnuCash names files in ~/.local/share/gnucash/books according to the
filename of the GnuCash data file.  This is a bit of a problem for me
because I expect to be able to have multiple GnuCash data files with
the same name in different places.

For example I keep church building accounts in a file called
'building.gnucash' with the accounts for each year in a different
sub-directory of my church accounts system.

I.e. there are:-

    /home/chris/pcc/2020/building.gnucash
    /home/chris/pcc/2021/building.gnucash
    /home/chris/pcc/2022/building.gnucash

Is there any way around this problem?  As it is various configuration
settings get changed as I move round my accounts, in particular the
reporting period.

Keeping all the church's accounts, and correspondence and other files
for one particular year makes sense for me (and the auditor!).

I *could* add the year to the GnuCash data file name but that does
make it rather long and clumsy, and it makes for redundant information
which Mr Codd doesn't like! :-)

--
Chris Green