[GNC] Large GnuCash file very slow to write to

Tim Hume tim at nomuka.com
Sun May 8 07:23:12 EDT 2022

Hi,

My GnuCash file (SQLite format) has become rather large - 110 MBytes. Every month or two I import a lot more transactions in CSV format. I use piecash in a Python script I wrote, because the importing of CSV data built into GnuCash crashes when I import too many transactions.

I might be importing perhaps 4000 or 5000 transactions. Saving them into my GnuCash file takes many many minutes. I know my file is getting too large, but it surely shouldn't take 10+ minutes to do this operation? Whilst I do it, I can see Python is taking 100% of a CPU core.

Come the end of the financial year (30 June) I'm going to start a new file. But this will quickly grow in size, and no doubt I'll run into this problem again. Is there anything I can do to speed this up, or do I just have to live with it?

Cheers,

Tim.

Sent with [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.com/) secure email.