[GNC] Configuration dilemma -- How best to share Gnucash between 2 users

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Tue May 10 13:36:32 EDT 2022

On 5/10/2022 11:50 AM, John Griessen wrote:
> On 5/9/22 11:07, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> The main gotcha is that only one person can have the data file open at a
>> time.  This means you will need to coordinate "who is running
>> GnuCash" at
>> any particular moment.
>

> I use gnucash on two linux machines with a sync program called unison
> keeping the data files up to date on each.  I run unison before
> switching machines.  This has to be a hard and fast rule or time will
> be wasted when you accidentally add new data to each instance.

Because gnucash creates the "lock file" in the same directory that the
data file lives in, the safest solution to have multiple deices able to
sequentially access the data is to have it a directory on a shared
storage device. For example, I am not not (yet?) doing this but I could
put a drive on the wireless router that is the backbone of our home LAN
and then move the data to a directory on that drive.

However the users would have to take most seriously an "in use" and
assume it is an error.

Sorry, but I think you are asking for trouble depending on syncing
separate data files. Sooner or later ...........

Michael D Novack