[GNC] Configuration dilemma -- How best to share Gnucash between 2 users

Chris Mitchell gnucash at chris.oldnest.ca
Tue May 10 13:46:29 EDT 2022

Keeping the data files on shared network storage ("Windows network
share", Samba, NFS, sshfs, etc) and accessing them directly has the
advantage of real-time file locking: If a running instance of Gnucash
has the data file open, then when you try to open it from another
Gnucash instance on another machine, it pops up a dialog warning you
that the file is already in use.

I much prefer this setup, because it effectively prevents the
"accidentally edit both" scenario. No remembering to run a sync
process, no copies to get out of sync, no manually copying edits from
your out-of-sync copy (and hopefully not missing any)... Just one file,
which you *can* edit if it's not currently in use, and *cannot* edit if
it is.

Cheers!
 -Chris