[GNC] Configuration dilemma -- How best to share Gnucash between 2 users

Liz Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Tue May 10 18:46:16 EDT 2022

On Tue, 10 May 2022 14:06:02 -0600
John Griessen <john at industromatic.com> wrote:

> That sounds great for two people in an office.   How would you get
> the benefit of doing bookkeeping on a laptop and then at a desktop
> machine alternating back and forth?
>
> I get a flexibility benefit using unison to sync files.  I don't
> share use of bookkeeping files with another person, just me with
> laptop and me with desktop.  So far no troubles for a year. This
> method does not expose my bookkeeping to internet server attacks
> either -- it all stays behind a firewall.

I too alternate between desktop and laptop.
I host my own Nextcloud instance and syncing is automatic after each
save. I have had problems when something went wrong with network
connectivity. At this point I have different files, and the server
keeps a copy of each so you can recover more easily.

Being able to use the laptop has increased the accuracy of my records -
when travelling I can still record purchases in the main accounts, and
gave up use of the Gnucash app on the phone.

Liz