[GNC] Configuration dilemma -- How best to share Gnucash between 2 users

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Wed May 11 04:03:08 EDT 2022

On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 08:46:16AM +1000, Liz Dodd wrote:
> On Tue, 10 May 2022 14:06:02 -0600
> John Griessen <john at industromatic.com> wrote:
>
> > That sounds great for two people in an office.   How would you get
> > the benefit of doing bookkeeping on a laptop and then at a desktop
> > machine alternating back and forth?
> >
> > I get a flexibility benefit using unison to sync files.  I don't
> > share use of bookkeeping files with another person, just me with
> > laptop and me with desktop.  So far no troubles for a year. This
> > method does not expose my bookkeeping to internet server attacks
> > either -- it all stays behind a firewall.
>
> I too alternate between desktop and laptop.
> I host my own Nextcloud instance and syncing is automatic after each
> save. I have had problems when something went wrong with network
> connectivity. At this point I have different files, and the server
> keeps a copy of each so you can recover more easily.

I use syncthing to synchronise my GnuCash (and a load of other) files
between desktop and laptop.  It does 'real time' synchronisation and
there's no need for any user interaction once it's set up, the files
just stay synchronised automatically.  It's available for most OSs,
Linux, MS Windows, Macs, even Android!  It can work across multiple
OSs and works whenever/wherever the computer has web access.

I find it briliant for GnuCash because it means I can quite
transparently use GnuCash on my desktop or when I'm away from home on
my laptop.  The standard GnuCash lock files prevent me from doing
things in two places at once by mistake.

--
Chris Green