[GNC] unrealized gain / losses for mutual funds

john jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun May 15 12:33:19 EDT 2022

> On May 15, 2022, at 8:15 AM, Andrea Borgia <andrea at borgia.bo.it> wrote:
>
> Problem is, the example applies to a painting, that is an object whose value changes, not shares whose number remains constant but whose value changes, thus leading to a change in total valuation.

There's no accounting difference between a painting and a share of stock, though using a painting for the example forecloses the opportunity to discuss a long-running account having multiple purchases and sales of the asset type because Degas paintings are one-offs while shares of, say, Apple are fungible.

> On May 15, 2022, at 8:43 AM, Michael or Penny Novack <stepbystepfarm at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Likewise your "pictures" asset account (I take it that this is a mutual fund investing in "unfungible assets" like artworks)

No, it's about the example in the Tutorial and Concepts Guide. The author chose to be cute and use a painting as the example asset.